From press release
Sam Bird cruised to victory in the 2014 FIA Formula E Ycapital Management Putrajaya ePrix ahead of championship-leader Lucas di Grassi and Sebastien Buemi.
The Virgin Racing driver crossed the line to pick up the full 25 points and clinch his maiden ePrix win.
Bird dedicated his win to former GP2 team-mate Jules Bianchi, who was severely injured in the Japanese Grand Prix: "I have to dedicate this win to a good friend of mine who is very ill. It's very sad what's happened to him and this one is for Jules. The weekend went really well, we were quick from the first outing and we were quickest in practice.
"Qualifying didn't quite go our way as I think we were not in the best group for doing a fast lap time but we put that right in the race. The first stint I was able to get a very god gap which meant we could take it easy and not make any silly mistakes, do some lift and coasting, and coast to the finish.”
|Sam Bird, Putrajaya ePrix (Photo: WRI2)
Audi Sport ABT driver Lucas di Grassi and e.dams-Renault's Sebastien Buemi both managed to fight their way through the field to stand on the podium despite starting at the back of the grid.
Bird's win means he moves up to second place in the championship standings just three points behind
Race results - Putrajaya ePrix
1. Sam Bird, Virgin Racing, 51:1.979
2. Lucas di Grassi, Audi Sport ABT, +4.175s
3. Sebastien Buemi, e.dams-Renault, +5.739s
4. Nicolas Prost, e.dams-Renault, +9.52s
5. Jerome d'Ambrosio, Dragon Racing, +13.72s
6. Karun Chandhok, Mahindra Racing, +17.158s
7. Oriol Servia, Dragon Racing, +18.621s
8. Antonio Felix da Costa, Amlin Aguri, +19.926s
9. Jaime Alguersuari, Virgin Racing, +20.053s
10. Daniel Abt, Audi Sport ABT, +45.63s
1. Ho-Pin Tung, China Racing, +5.83s
12. Stephane Sarrazin, Venturi, +56.626s
13. Matthew Brabham, Andretti, +1:05.036s
14. Bruno Senna, Mahindra Racing, +1 lap
15. Franck Montagny, Andretti, +1 lap (penalty)
16. Katherine Legge, Amlin Aguri, +3 laps (penalty)
17. Jarno Trulli, Trulli, +3 laps (penalty)
18. Nelson Piquet Jr, China Racing, DNF
19. Michela Ceruti, Truli, DNF
Nick Heidfeld, Venturi, excluded (penalty)
1. Lucas di Grassi 43pts
2. Sam Bird 40pts
3. Franck Montagny 18pts
4. Nicolas Prost 18pts
5. Jerome d'Ambrosio 18pts
6. Karun Chandhok 18pts
7. Sebastien Buemi 15pts
8. Charles Pic 12pts
9. Oriol Servia 12pts
10. Nelson Piquet Jr 4pts
No tags for this post.